||How it Works
||Used for conductive, mixed or Single Sided Deafness (SSD), involving at least one functioning inner ear.
||BAHA® system is implanted and conducts sound using direct bone conduction--sending sound using the skull as a pathway (does not reproduce sound electronically and does not involve an in-the-ear component).
- Surgical procedure takes 30-45 minutes with local or local with sedation anesthesia.
- Nothing worn in the ear.
- No post-surgery programming necessary.
- Procedure is reversible.
||Bilateral severe-to-profound inner ear type hearing loss
Sound is picked up by an external microphone, which processes the sound and sends it to a transmitter under the skin. The sound is sent to an implanted electroded array in the inner ear, which produces a pattern of electrical pulses in the wearer's ear.
- Involves replacing the function of a non-working inner ear through 1-2 hr. operation.
- After surgery, there is an extensive programming and therapy process.
|Air Conduction Hearing Aid
||Used for certain types of conductive, mixed and sensorineural hearing loss to amplify sounds.
||Relies on amplification to send acoustic sound to a functioning inner ear.
- Involves an in-the-ear component.
- May aggravate chronic ear infections.